HOW TO SHOP THE RACK

For my UK followers, read with interest and bear in mind for the next time you visit the US!  For my US followers, print this out and hit The Rack!

The Rack is one of my favourite haunts in the US, not just because I can get steals and deals on great branded clothes, accessories and shoes, but also because I get that buzz of accomplishment that I've found a great piece under the laws of chiconomics!

For those of you that have never entered the doors of Nordstrom Rack or are too scared to rummage through the racks, it is sister of Nordstrom where they send end of line items and ranges.  Don't let that put you off though, as they are now buying items that are specifically Rack targeted.

That said, it doesn't mean what you find is out of style or fell onto an 'unwanted' pile.  Quite the opposite - they are trend led, brand focused and any fashionista who knows her stuff will have handbags at dawn as the new inventory arrives!

So how do you shop it and what do you buy there?  Well, you can get just about anything when it comes to clothes, accessories and shoes and all great brands (think J Brand, Joe's, SKY, Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors, Romeo & Juliet to name a few!)  You really can't go with a specific item in mind, be open-minded and prepared to spend what you need to bag that deal!

Over the past few months, I've had some great deals and steals.....

MICHAEL KORS LEATHER JACKET
$199.99 instead of $499

Here's how I styled it...


Jason Wu for Target dress; River Island short cowboy booties; Aldo tassle purse; Roberto Cavalli sunglasses....view San Diego bay, stunning!


Chain print scarf - Primark; River Island shorts; Dune riding boots; Zara leather tote (amazing and one of their bestsellers!


Zebra print jeans - Primark (bargain at £12!) teamed with a basic tank



MARC JACOBS BAG
$200 instead of $400

I remember seeing the most amazing Herve Leger dress, a snip at $300 instead of $1,500!  Someone got a steal and timeless classic with that one!  Just wish I'd grabbed it first!

That's the thing with The Rack, if you see something you love or even are only half sure about, grab it. Firstly, if you head back even within the same week, chances are it will have been snapped up and secondly they re-merchandise the store every couple of days to keep shoppers like me not only interested but wandering around looking for my usual brands and buying more in the process!

Recently, I went with the intention of only spending my $70 birthday gift card!  Are you kidding me, how could I resist a little cashmere sweater and a new pair of J Brands - a definite steal at $70!

Here's how I styled the cashmere sweater...I teamed it with my leatherette ankle grazers from Primark (amazing find!) an infinity scarf and wedge booties




The wedge booties are one of the best pairs of shoes I've found in a long time!  At $70 from The Rack and by a brand called Zigi Soho, these work with every outfit - literally every one and update every look in an instant so it's so now!  Not only that, they're comfy as well and I've literally had ladies stopping me in the street when I wear them!  I can't take them off!!

Zigi Soho Strut Wedge Booties - $70, Nordstrom Rack

They have a super cute ankle strap, and the peep toe combined with a bootie makes them oh so designer looking!  That's what it's about right ladies?  Finding a deal or steal that looks like you spent the full amount - looks a million dollars, but only cost one!

So many times in the past I've hit The Rack and left with tops and shorts and earrings and bits and pieces.  I decided on this particular trip to invest my money wisely, only buy something I either really needed or that would be a great investment piece.

I've been looking for a great pair of worn skinny jeans for a while, after seeing the fabulous Olivia Palermo rocking hers on the red carpet, looking uber stylish!  J Brands for $70 is not to be sniffed at!!  I've since also bagged a pair of their $300 jodhpur style jeans for $70 and a pair of dark denim Paige skin tight skinny jeans again for $70 - 3 pairs for still half the cost of one, a true bargain in the land of chiconomics!


J BRAND JODHPUR SKINNIES - $70, NORMALLY $290 NORDSTROM RACK


PAIGE SKINNY JEANS - $70, NORMALLY $190 NORDSTROM RACK

I'm planning on styling the dark green jodhpurs with a gold metallic sweater, knee high riding boots and a scarf or dressed up with nude patent heels, a chiffon blouse and a blazer or leather jacket.  I think they're going to make a great jeans alternative for the winter months.

I've never actually made a cashmere purchase to date until this trip. I often advise clients to do this as a staple in their wardrobe or a great piece for travelling.  So I put my money where my mouth is and bought a great sweater which is a kind of melange between sweater and poncho!  I think this will work well for Souther Californian cooler nights and of course for plane rides back to the UK, where I always get cold!

I'm a big fan of natural fibres.  I don't know if this is an age thing, but I definitely started to appreciate them as I entered my 30s!  Cashmere is a delight to wear I've heard!  Lightweight enough to keep you warm and cool at just the right time - so snuggly too!

So chiconomistas, head to The Rack and bag some bargains, before we clear out the racks!  Here are my top 5 shopping tips when hitting The Rack...

1. Seek out those great investment pieces which will work hard for their place in your wardrobe:

Cashmere piece
Great skinny jeans
Leather jacket
Wedges to work with everything in a neutral colour
A great bag which will add class to any look!

2. Know your brands!  Be brand savvy, so that you don't miss a great bargain and style scoop!

3. Get there early.  Not only will it be a more enjoyable shopping experience, as it gets busy, especially at weekends; but you'll also get the best deals and steals!

4. Sign up for a Nordstrom card and you'll get bonus points, deals and invitations to sale previews.  Spend and earn money back, that's great in any chiconomista's world!

5. Save your pennies so you don't put anything back!

....unless we get there first!

Oh and one more thing, Nordstrom with their customer centric focus have addressed the issue of the store length lines in Rack stores with their speedy check out area.  They'll take your payment on a smart phone, you sign with your finger nail and they'll email you the receipt!  Bargain in hand, you can be out the door before you can say 'I'm not sure'!  It's not just the phone who's smart ;)

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment