KIMONO HEAVEN



So my recent fashion obsession is the wonderfully versatile and super floaty/pretty kimono.  When I say kimono, I'm talking about the fashion world take on this traditional Japanese garment.  However, the heritage of the garment is interesting and the reasons why I think I love it so much - easy to wear, cool in the heat and offers some form of layer if it's cooler.

I have truly found this piece PERFECT for my Californian life.  No jacket required, but when the coastal winds blow, it offers a nice breezy layer AND looks cute/stylish/fashionable (which can be a challenge when one is trying to keep warm too!)

I actually predict kimonos are going to come more into their own, so now's the time to start experimenting!  I recently bought a beautiful version from Zara and can honestly say I have to force myself not to wear it, as it works for so many occasions (casual day or evening and dressy evening or daytime fashionista meeting/client appointment!)

I teamed it with the ever popular off-white skort from Zara,with a nude tank and mid-heel Sam Edelman coral and nude wedges, such a wearable, workable outfit




My first addition to my kimono collection, was this great floral version, so now even though I bought it about two years ago from Missguided (chiconomics at its finest ladies, it's not just about finding a bargain it's about re-working pieces from your wardrobe, as if you'd just bought it now!)

I did some outfit planning of my own in preparation for a recent girl's trip to Vegas and here are some of the floral kimono looks.  

I chose to 'print-clash' for this one and LOVE this look.  It's one of those that shouldn't work, but does! The colors work together: that's really the key with any kind of print-clashing if you're looking to try it.


FLORAL KIMONO - MISSGUIDED; AZTEC DRESS - PRIMARK; CREAM CROSSOVER BAG - MARC JACOBS, NORDSTROM; GOLD SANDALS - RIVER ISLAND; HAT - CLOSET

I also worked the kimono into a daytime casual look over a mint crop top (try them ladies, don't be scared!) and some denim shorts.  I caused some 'print-clashing' here with the animal print sandals from Vince Camuto and pulled the look together with the same color tones in the hat

MINT CROP TOP - PRIMARK; DENIM SHORTS - PRIMARK; SANDALS - VINCE CAMUTO; CROSSOVER BAGS - CREAM: MARC JACOBS; BLACK/BROWN: DEAR ALICE (OTHER ITEMS AS BEFORE)

I'm now on the lookout for more kimonos as they are fast becoming a staple in my wardrobe!  They are even great as a beach cover-up and fold easily and are featherweight, so a perfect holiday addition!

Boohoo and Missguided have a couple of kimonos worth checking out, but the ones I really have my eye on are from a brand I've recently discovered called Lux Divine.  I am going to write a post about this brand on its own, as it is really worth a mention not least for the beautiful pieces they offer, but also because it is all made and run by one lady and her husband!  Knowing how hard setting up and then running your own business is, I understand where she's coming from and more power to their elbow!

Lux Divine now also sell what else, but kimonos, as well as their accessories.  They are show-stoppingly beautiful and whilst they are more expensive, they appear to be true craftsmenship, made from beautiful fabrics, Indian scarves and embellished materials.  Around the $200 mark, they really are an investment piece, but I believe based on my recent experience of the kimonos in my wardrobe you really would get your cost-per-wear.  

Here are my Lux Divine kimono picks.  I love the colors, shapes, prints and length of these!  


GEISHA KIMONO MINT - $250 - LUX DIVINE


GEISHA KIMONO PEACH - $250 - LUX DIVINE



STEVIE KIMONO - $195 - LUX DIVINE

Ok so I'm off to float around in my kimono for the evening and put my order in with Lux Divine, but oh which one to choose....




No comments:

Post a Comment