BORROWED FROM THE BOYS



Be it down to the laid back, comfortable fit and feel, there's something about men's dressing that we women are stealing their style for.  It's no surprise that men choose comfort over style every time, no ladies they're not as mad as we are to traipse around in 5 inch heels because they make our legs look longer and make us look cuter (even thought our toes are crunched up and our back aches!)



I was at a Country concert recently and thought I should get him into my Borrowed From The Boys post somehow!  Ahem, back to the post now...


So this season, more than ever, we're borrowing our style from the boys in an effort to combine comfort with style.  Think oversized, upsized, slouchy (not baggy) and effortless comfort chic.


Raid your bf/hubby/brother/dad's closet for the following to inject some new season style into your outfits:

- BLAZER - Boyfriend blazers have been knocking around for a while and honestly, they go from strength to strength in terms of their place in your wardrobe.  Perfect as an extra layer for work, casual or going out, they always have a knack of completing the look.

THE STORY OF MY BROOKE'S BROTHERS CAMEL HAIR MEN'S BLAZER!
SKATER SKIRT - ZARA, STRIPED TEE - FOREVER 21, BOOTIES - PIPERLIME, HAT - Q

My latest find was this piece, ladies I even astounded myself with my shopping find and chiconomista skills!  I was actually selling some clothes in a thrift store in San Diego, following a big detox ready for the new season.  I had so much stuff, that the lady asked me if I wanted to wander around.  Now, I'm not an a-typical thrift store shopper, but have so many friends over the years who've bagged amazing pieces whether in the thrift store in the US or charity store in the UK.

So always one to find a minute to shop, I began to browse....and browse I did!  At the back of the store, I spotted a camel colored men's blazer from US brand Brooke's Brothers priced at just under $30.  As I was selling, I was allowed to trade in some of my items, so the price to me was $15!!  I popped it on, rolled back the sleeves, pulled up the collar and hey presto, the latest season Trophy Blazer - great for my trip to the UK!  Needless to say, I LOVE it and have teamed it with everything from skirts to jeans to over dresses!  


BLAZER - AS MENTIONED, DENIM SHIRT - ABOUND, NORDSTROM RACK, LEATHER MINI - KOOKAI, TOTE - ZARA, SCARF - H&M, CUT-OUT BOOTIES - BERTIE



BLAZER - AS BEFORE, SHIRT - AS BEFORE, BOOTIES - AS BEFORE, TOTE - AS BEFORE, RED LEATHER SKINNIES - ZARA


Try the look yourself and scout out an oversized men's blazer, don't worry if it looks a little 80s or manly, roll the sleeves back and you'll have a key staple in no time!

- SHIRTS - perhaps the most obvious piece to steal from the man in your life's wardrobe, but the more oversized and slouchy the better.  Seek out denim, plaid and slouchy white versions.  Team over tees and tanks and wear with skinny jeans, boyfriend jeans, shorts or skirts and heels to keep the look feminine and sexy.  I love these two looks, one casual daytime and the other a great way of bringing the plaid shirt into an evening look!



PLAID SHIRT - FOREVER 21, TEE - Q, WEDGES - JEFFREY CAMPBELL


PLAID SHIRT - AS BEFORE, LEATHER MINI - AS BEFORE, CLUTCH - RIVER ISLAND, LEOPARD SANDALS - PRIMARK LIMITED EDITION COLLECTION, STATEMENT NECKLACE - PRIMARK



- JEANS - boyfriend jeans are big news in the denim world and the next big thing to rock us other than skinnies.  The key with boyfriends is to get the fit right on the bum and waist, showing off your shape still with a slouchy feel along the leg and a cute roll.  Heels again will keep the look feminine, but flats add edge for a daytime look too!



I also scooped these on the aforementioned trip to the thrift store!  I love the higher waist on them, which is really flattering.  When choosing boyfriend jeans, it's all about how they look rolled up and opt for slimmer fitting than over baggy.



- V-NECK SWEATERS - the bigger the better!  Pull the one side of the 'V' off the shoulder over a tank and team with leather skinnies for an effortless daytime look!  All of the high street are selling versions of these (Zara and Primark in the UK), so digging through your man's wardrobe is the way to go!


V-NECK SWEATER - ZARA, LEATHER MINI - ZARA, LEOPARD SANDALS - AS BEFORE, STATEMENT NECKLACE - AS BEFORE



V-NECK SWEATER - AS BEFORE, LEATHER MINI - AS BEFORE, SCARF - PRIMARK, SAND COLORED BOOTIES - AS BEFORE, GREY BOOTIES - DUNE

Remember to keep the look as feminine as possible with heels, accessories and slimmer fitting pieces on other parts of the body; tweak the pieces with rolled up sleeves, collars up and add a tote bag and ankle booties to really bring the look into fall!  



No comments:

Post a Comment