ALL THAT GLITTERS...SHOES & A NEW YEAR THAT'S WHAT!



...that's how the old adage goes, well it ends somewhat differently, 'all that glitters, is not gold' but ringing in the new year, I decided to alter the ending as what glittered for me as 2013 departed and 2014 arrived were gold, sparkly shoes and a sparkly new year and glittering blank canvas.


SPARKLY GOLD SHOES - DUNE circa 2001


2014 - GLITTERING BLANK CANVAS

This got me thinking that it's really down to us to make things 'glitter', whether they do or not.  It's just how we frame things; how we look at things and what we do with what we're given.

First, about the shoes.  Being back in the UK for Christmas and New Year and digging around my old closet, I discovered a gem of a pair of shoes I'd gone to throw away on a previous occasion but can honestly say I'm glad I didn't.  (Phewee, one closet edit I'm glad I avoided!)  In the true spirit of fashion and trends, the shoes have come full circle and I'm proud of my chiconimista ways shopping my own closet!  I bought them over 10 years ago for corporate events from Dune and with hardly any wear, dusted them off ready for ringing in this New Year.  I was complimented on them all evening and even asked if they were Jimmy Choo!  Result!  Needless to say they are on my classics list forever more.

Now the blank page.  Listening to an interview about making resolutions, I agreed that setting yourself one huge goal of 'worrying less' or 'doing more for others' is just, well, too big.  We are just going to set ourselves up for a fall by resolving to do something huge in what is only 52 weeks.  To feel the sense of achievement and make the difference we want to in our lives, we have to break it down into bite sized chunks, baby steps.  For example, what do you need to do to 'worry less'?  Perhaps it's save money or get health checks, which all contributes to worrying less by default.  Those are the resolutions and over a smaller timescale.  

2014 is a big year for me for lots of reasons, so to focus my mind, I divided the year into four quarters and set three objectives for each covering my professional and personal life.  Job done!  Ten minutes and I know what I need to do.

That's not to say things might not change here and there and quite honestly I embrace those changes as life so inimitably throws twists and turns up at us.  Not only that but change can be exciting if we embrace it in the right way.


So while we're on it, change your style and fashion preconceptions too.  Bring some sparkle and glitter into your wardrobe unexpectedly (sequins and glitter are not just for the night remember!) and you'll be amazed at how it makes you shine inside and out.


Dig around your wardrobe too, dust an old classic off, resurrect it and give it its time to shine.


So there you go, permission to add some sparkle to your wardrobe, mind and life!  



Cheers 2014, it's going to be a glittery, sparkly one - prepare to be blinded!

The Chiconomista xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment