ARE YOU BEING SERVED?

With the onset of the new season, I've got so much to blog about, I hardly know where to start!  Can you imagine...a fashionista + new arrivals + new trends + fashion weeks and all kinds of things going on and lots of new opportunities in my Styling work, I think I might pop with excitement!  

I had a fab trip to the US as ever and enjoyed catching up on the trends over there and visiting some of my favourite shops, Nordstrom Rack amongst them!  More on that later as I bagged a 'chiconomista-bargain' of epic proportions!  So much so that I tweeted the store, their head office and the manager, I think they think I've totally lost it!  Although they were equally as excited, so maybe we're all a little over-excited in this crazy world of fashion!

Anyway, after a trip to the 'mecca of customer service that excels' (i.e. the US) and a celebrity-spot of Mary Portas in Terminal 5 at Heathrow.  I wanted to go and say 'hi', but felt her time was private, so thought I would put a little 'ode' to her on my blog.  I felt inspired to get on my soap box a little about customer service and the difference it truly makes in the retail environment and customer conversion to purchase.

I am a huge fan of Mary P in the style stakes and in her go-getter attitude, which has substance and she delivers results!  My kinda lady!  None of this puff and smoke and no outcome!  So she channelled a campaign to improve customer service in the UK, having reported how dire it is.  So when I was rading the rails in the US, I got to thinking about how differently I feel when I shop there.



It starts when they offer a simple 'hello and welcome to X store' as you walk through the door.  Wow a 'hello', why should this be so much of a surprise, it costs nothing and we all feel better for some communication and a shared smile.  Then as I pile my arms high with things to try on, they actually come and help me!  Can you imagine that?!!  'I'll start a room' she says, beaming at me with the most beautiful, straight, white teeth you've seen (other than my Gunny Marine's who I have to say gleam at me and make me melt!)


I was always brought up that manners cost nothing and I truly believe a smile can diffuse so many situations and that's what customer service boils down to, manners with a smile.


She offers me her name should I need more help, so in the 15 minutes I've been in their store I feel welcome, relaxed important and know where to go if I need more help.  A simple formula and one that connects with the shopper, costs nothing and actually makes the assistant's time feel worthwhile and here's the key, makes me want to stay in the store and shop more.  Retailers, this is crying out to you, IT MAKES THE SHOPPER WANT TO STAY IN THE STORE AND SHOP MORE!

Listen up UK, can you hear the tills rolling??  In the UK, we need this kind of added-value customer service to draw in shoppers and make them spend in a time where retail sales are falling and 14 high street stores are closing daily.

I have to say, of late I have noticed a definite increased effort in the customer service levels in good old Primark.  I've had a few combinations of 'have a great rest of your day'/'enjoy your day'.  Have I been beamed across The Atlantic?  I don't even know how to respond as I'm so taken aback and at least they're trying!

Returning items in the US is as pleasurable as the shopping experience.  No judgement made, no sharp intake of breath, they know retaining even that one customer is far more important than arguing, angering the customer more and making them feel questioned.  Everyone knows the old adage, if someone experiences something good they tell 4 people, if it's a bad experience they tell 16 and each of those tell at least another one.  Reputations take years to build and can be quo shed overnight, so it's not worth the pain.

I've taken things back in the US that I bought before returning to the UK, with a significant amount of time passed in the meantime.  Not once have I experienced a problem.  The most recent, was returning something for someone else, which was on their card and they even gave me the cash directly.  Done, dusted and I will shop there again!  Simple and once again costs nothing, which of course The Chiconomista loves!  Shopping and something for free!

Back to fashion next time, although I think customer service is at the core of everything we do and the fabric of our society.  Let me know if you have any great or bad experiences too!

Stay stylish
The Chiconomista
xoxo

PS Mary Portas did look SUPER stylish and my mom and I discussed her outfit in great length.  It was age-appropriate, on-trend but stylish, not over-fashiony and perfect for travelling.  So I took a mental picture and here's what she was wearing...some fab skinny jeans, which showed off her slim figure, some CUTE leopard print shoe boots with just the perfect heel height and a luxe, buttery tan leather jacket over a loose tee.  She was carrying an LV Speedy and looked cool, classic and chic!  Mary we salute you!




No comments:

Post a Comment