HOW TO WEAR THE SPRING '12 LEATHER TREND



I promised a series of posts called 'How To...' and 'What To Wear For..' because in my work as a Personal Stylist for real women with real budgets, I know outfits and looks which may seem obvious to the 'fash-pack' or us 'fashion-obsessed' yet can present a HUGE challenge, even outbreak of hives or cold sweats for lots of women!

Fear not, I can guide you through with lots of style advice and fashion tips along the way.  Tweak a trend and nod to it with what feels comfortable for your fashion personality, you don't need to be enslaved to a trend, wear it your way!

So today, I'm dedicating my 'How To...' to a fabric that has become a classic in its own right, leather.  As much a staple of our wardrobes today as denim, I genuinely believe no woman should be without a great leather jacket in their wardrobe.  You'll be amazed how many outfits it will pull together and bring right up-to-date.  Choose a classic, timeless style, shape and colour and it will see you through lots of seasons and looks


DOROTHY PERKINS - £48 - not leather, but a great bargain and looks more expensive with the choice of gold buttons, teamed with a tan leather effect.  This actually reminds me of a REISS jacket I saw last season and was coveting!


'ONE JACKET, 4 LOOKS'



A timeless biker style leather will work great with jeans and a tee for an edgy daytime look (top right); is smart enough over a simple dress with heels for a smart/casual work look (bottom right) and adds an extra layer for spring/summer looks and pulls together shorts or palazzo pants (bottom left and top left) (Images courtesy of Polyvore styled by The Chiconomista)


Aside from the obvious choice of a jacket in leather, we have seen over the past season and coming in for Spring, other pieces in leather you may have raised an eyebrow at pre 2011/2012!  I'm talking skirts (probably another obv!), shorts, skinny jeans, dresses and even tops (Images courtesy of Polyvore styled by The Chiconomista)



The bright colours we're seeing in leather are also a fresh take on an old classic and add interest to a traditional fabric, although would not be as much of an investment piece, so tread carefully and refer to the laws of chiconomics!




THE CATWALKS OF SPRING/SUMMER 2012



I picked up this leather-style dress for £20 from where else would The Chiconomista go for an on-trend fashion piece like this?  Primark!


LEATHER EFFECT DRESS, PRIMARK - £20; LEOPARD HEELS, NINE WEST; LEOPARD CLUTCH, SOS IT UP - £22.50

They were FLYING off the rack and came in brown or black.  I LOVE it, the cut and length are attune to something much pricier


So how do you wear a leather dress without looking like you're encased in cow hide?


I wore it to a Corporate Style Event in The City and for various client Personal Shops, but I think it would work well dressed up for a dinner date or drinks with the girls.  I styled it for this pic with another trend that has become classic in its own right, leopard print.  I think the classic shape of these heels and clutch work perfectly for the simplicity of the dress

Here's me wearing the dress, it looks better when you see it on!  The first pic, I layered it over a chiffon floral blouse (Primark Oxford St £10), which means the piece becomes trans-seasonal if it's a bit chilly.  The second pic, I layered a staple neutral blazer from H&M (£19.99) with my favourite Alexander McQueen-esque scarf (Primark £3!!!  These did grow wings and fly out, more on these in a later post!) Bag, River Island £45.  I finished the looks off with some mid heel shoe boots in brown suede, which have gold toggles at the back (the pics blend them out a little)




While we're on the subject of timeless leather and it's position on the map as a classic trend, set to stay for a while, I have to mention the shopper baskets flying off the shelves in Zara since November.  I first spotted the bag back then and at £79.99, it isn't mega-expensive, but isn't cheap either.  Although I believe it is a good buy for a stylish, timeless leather tote and I have joyously invested in one today!

PLAITED SHOPPER BASKET - ZARA, £79.99

I can't wait to use this for a meeting later in the week with a leading retailer in London.  It still says 'girl with a stylish bag', but will fit my notes and Mac nicely.  Oh and of course my change of shoes from flats to heels, heels to flats and back again as I scoot around the capital! 
SHOPPER BASKET, ZARA - £39.99

In true Chiconomista style, here is a slightly cheaper version for £39.99 although not leather.  I did originally buy this version and after only one day, the corners were starting to rub away down to the plastic beneath.  I decided it was worth doubling the stakes for the leather version which would last me longer and be harder-wearing.  Having said that, this shopper basket is flying out as if it's been seen adorned on the arms of the Duchess of Cambridge!  My local store sold out, so I called all the way from the Trafford Centre to every store in Central London, to be told they'd completely sold out!  Until the end of March!  I am fascinated when a piece hits the nail on the head so well that this happens, it means the design team have struck a real chord with what us women shoppers really want!  It goes back to that constant quest we women are on for the 'perfect' heel, the 'perfect' pair of jeans and in this case the 'perfect' bag (PS go for the leather version though!)

Happy shopping ladies
xoxo





No comments:

Post a Comment