THE KATE EFFECT



I was over in the US for The Royal Wedding last year and just before that as the love of Kate Middleton, The Duchess of Cambridge, was growing.  I did chuckle to myself as I was asked in a US nail bar, upon them hearing my English accent, if I was going to be going to the wedding.  I wish!  For a view of THE dress at least!  Oh and a chance to wear a Phillip Treacy head creation (no fascinators at weddings pl-ee-ase!0  I thought the madness was the US love of Royals, but soon realised we were in as much of a frenzy about it in the UK.  I think perhaps the country and world even needed a welcome break and light relief from news about war and economic doom and gloom.

Since getting engaged to and marrying her Prince, we have gone CRAZY for Kate. A so-called 'commoner' made Royal, it's a true Princess love story and she does seem genuinely really nice.  So is that the reason the press, fashionistas and just real women have eyes as she steps out of the car to see what she's wearing?  Perhaps we were looking for an icon, an aspirational figure who is real and not just a-n-other celebrity.  She is the kind of girl I'd be happy my big brother bringing home and I'm sure the kind of girl he would like to!  In fact, upon hearing of their California visit, his eyes lit up as he schemed to lure her away from Wills!

Whatever it is, there is no denying The Kate Effect.  The power of what she wears alone is huge in terms of what it delivers to the fashion market.  I don't just mean a dress that spurns a million styles, I mean in actual real 'cash money'.

Her classic LK Bennett nude platform heels she sported throughout her Canadian tour in the summer cost £175 and sold out in just hours, appearing for more than double on various online sites


LK BENNETT NUDE PUMP


These are 'go-to' heels that will literally go with everything (I know I bought a version by Stuart Weitzman and pull them on with every look!)  I think as women we're on a constant quest for the 'perfect' pair of heels; the 'perfect' day bag; the 'perfect' pair of jeans and I think Kate gave us a snippet of this as she demonstrated multiple looks with one pair of heels.  She definitely got her cost-per-wear out of those £175 heels and showed she still looked elegant and stylish.

Now onto what she has done for REISS.  Choosing a stunning, simple creation for the engagement photos from REISS, styles which they do oh so well and also to meet the President and First Lady was genius in terms of demonstrating her confidence in what she chooses to wear and also rocketed REISS profits through the roof.  They recently announced an increase in profits of more than £10 million, which experts put down to The Kate Effect


REISS ENGAGEMENT PHOTO SILK CREAM DRESS - £159 or re-sold after Kate wearing it for £750 on ebay!



REISS DRESS FOR OBAMA MEETING - THE 'SHOLA', GRAB IT WHILE YOU CAN! - £175


The REISS site crashed as Kate followers tried to grab a piece of her style, with the cream REISS dress selling at a rate of one per minute and the 'Shola' increasing traffic to the REISS website by 200%.  This is no mean feat!  Tesco even jumped on the profit frenzy and graced their aisles with their own copy of the dress for £30!

REISS started life as a menswear brand and I remember one of the first stores in its home ground of Birmingham.  Brand Director, Andy Burling said in a recent interview with The Telegraph, "We're a design-led, iconic, modern, sexy label...about attention to detail.  Confidence.  We acknowledge trends, but we are not enslaved to them."  I think that sums up KAte's style fairly succinctly.

By shopping at Reiss, Burling continued, Kate has reinforced the fact that she is a regular girl braving the changing rooms like any of us girls.

Paula Reed, Style Director for Grazia mag, descirbed Kate's choice of this shift dress choice as 'very Victoria Beckham or Roland Mouret' but Reed hopes the Duchess will use her fashion choice power in the same vein as Michelle Obama, by choosing some homegrown designers for future appearances.  Kate will well and truly sky-rocket their career in the same way Michelle O did when she turned up to the Inaugural Ball in a Jason Wu gown, an American designer no one had ever heard of and now a recent collaborator with huge retailer Target for his diffusion line for the masses (see earlier posts re: Wu For Target)


It seems whatever this girl touches or in this case wears turns to gold.

Whether it's sell-outs from something she dips a toe into or copies of what she chooses, whatever a girl's style, most women can't deny they want their own piece of Kate


KATE'S ISSA DRESS FOR HER ENGAGEMENT ANNOUNCEMENT SPURNED COPIES ALL OVER IN A MULTITUDE OF COLOURS


Now I've only gone and done it!  I've contributed to the multi-million pound effect that is The Kate Effect!  She recently wore another high street favourite of hers, Zara, to an event with Prince William and other Royals and teamed the cute dress with a short Ralph Lauren jacket


ZARA TULIP DRESS


The lace effect, tulip shape dress sold out in hours and the same day, I was walking past Zara window with a client I was styling and cleverly they'd maximised the publicity of said dress and moved it into the main window!  As a shining beacon of their success, saying here it is!  "Here's what Kate wore!  Aren't we clever, she chose us!"

I am partial to a bit of lace or lace effect, so would have jumped on this if black suited me, but it drains the life out of me.  So imagine my excitement when I spotted a gorgeous rich green version on a recent trip to the Trafford Centre to shop with a client.  I am just about to order this online to wear for some events and meeting in London I've got coming up, here is the little beauty and my own little bit of Kate!


ZARA TULIP DRESS IN GREEN 


So back to Kate herself, I don't think I've ever seen a bad picture of her and love the fact that she is constantly smiling, radiant and so natural, as opposed to all the fake beauty we see around so much these days with the overwhelming fear of ageing.  I am not going to join the bandwagon of criticism, as who is anyone to judge really?  I would just love to see her in some things which are a bit 'younger', as I think there is plenty of time for tweed jackets and knee-length skirts.  However, she has boundaries to adhere to and will be criticised whatever, so has to play it 'safe' as she has a 'job' to do as part of a family in the public eye with traditions and that's not a bad thing.

After all, any girl turning 30 is finding her style and Kate is no different finding her feet and developing what works and doesn't.  She hasn't put a foot wrong yet and according to sources, does not employ her own Stylist.  Not bad for a 'commoner'.  When she's ready for a Stylist, I would of course be happy to oblige and create an opening in my busy schedule....

As a Stylist, dedicated follower of fashion and 'chiconomista', for me what works so well is her choice to mix designer and high street.  This also demonstrates her awareness of socially and charged political situations, which hemlines and styles are known to be affected by.  Not only that, but she has been seen wearing items more than just once.  That really shouldn't be that shocking, which is why it works.  She wears her choices with confidence too, which is what finding your style is all about.

Not only that, but she's recently been dubbed The Recycling Duchess, as she's been seen in pieces that have been tweaked for a fresher take or as with the Missoni jacket she wore when she was with Camilla and The Queen recently, it was from a consignment store in Berkshire.  For this, Kate we salute you!

Here are some of my favourite looks...


ERDEM for the Canadian tour - the lace and slim-fitting style in this dress is classic Kate.  The dress is classic with edge and using her hair as the key accessory is offset by the rich navy, which is perfect for Kate's colouring


REISS Engagement picture dress again, teamed with a Maple leaf hat and red courts representing the Canadian flag for the Canadian tour.  I love the colour contrast, it works so well for her colouring and the accessories are the real statement in this look.  This is one of my all time favourites to date


Kate in true Hollywood form in Jenny Packham, a look to rival any A-Lister.  I love the flow of this fabric and how the shape really accentuates her tiny frame, but also emphasises her height.  The colour and flowing fabric is ethereal and the icy pastel works beautifully against her dark hair and olive skin


Kate in Phillip Treacy on Christmas Day, 2011.  I love that where Kate is opting for classic heels and more classic elements in outfits, she will experiment with some drama in accessories.  Phillip Treacy is never one to be known for a plain hat and this burgundy piece was stunning with a simple coat dress



I actually think these two looks might be my honest favourites.  Her choice of J Brand jeans is right up my street and she definitely rocks a cowboy hat with style!  I have my very own original cowboy, so this has to be my favourite in an ode to him!

Last, but by no means least, no favourite list would be complete without featuring Kate on her wedding day, from her wedding dress to her evening dress, fashionistas gasped everywhere as who wouldn't want to radiate that much happiness and style on the big day?



KATE MIDDLETON chooses Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen on her wedding day last April

No comments:

Post a Comment